View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #10
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Poll: Do you think your physical aikido abilities will keep getting more effectiv

Quote:
Joseph Bowen wrote:
Just to play the Devil's advocate , what about your ability to take ukemi? As you get older, will you be able to take that koshinage from the 6'6" 230lbs Nage?
The further I go in training I find it increasingly easy to "flow over" most koshinage -- molasses-like rather than chunk-like. My falls are more directed back at nage's center, which while it increases radial speed of turn in the fall markedly diminishes applied acceleration time for the same throw. I seem to have better sense of the rotation at contact with the ground, which distributes and delays impact force.

So it remains to be seen, but so far (I'm 40, ~20 years training) they are getting easier and softer, certainly from an impact standpoint.
Quote:
Joseph Bowen wrote:
What about you're ability to take the ukemi from a kicking attack?
Kick? You are kidding, right? Those are the toguhest ukemi to take , without a doubt, And I doubt I will volunteer for those after about 70 or so. Of course, I cannot actually imagine wanting to try to employ a standing kick offensively. There are some interesting kaeshi-waza from the one-legged stance that may change my opinion on this, however, but they are only sketches of technique for me so far. The only kicks I find that remain routinely useful to me are close yokogeri or maegeri leg sweeps from the ground following ukemi -- or big, hooking back leg sweeps to clear the area while getting up.
Quote:
Joseph Bowen wrote:
Or what about your ability to provide a constant "realistic" attack as Uke for you partner?
Precision should be feared more than mere force. Atemi get increasingly precise, I find, and I find almost every part of my limbs with a strike coming on line as I move more properly than I did when I was younger. So as I get older, I find opportunities for more, and more effective, strikes. I am not sure if that is "realistic," or just real.
Quote:
Joseph Bowen wrote:
These are some things to consider especially if you assign any importance or correlation between your ukemi ability and your ability to execute a technique.
Without a doubt I do -- but increasing refinement in displacing force, whether through ukewaza or nagewaza, not enduring the application of that force, seems the key to constant improvement with no obvious endpoint other than death.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.