View Single Post
Old 10-06-2006, 12:32 AM   #6
saltlakeaiki

Dojo: Salt Lake Aikikai
Re: translation help

Quote:
Rene Vencer, Jr wrote:
I've looked in different translation sites, asked different people, and got different results.

I'd like to ask our Japanese friends, how do you say these phrases properly?
I think the reason you've gotten different results is that it is not such an easy question to answer (hard as that may seem to believe), and not (necessarily) because the people you asked didn't know what they were talking about. I would expect even native speakers to be slightly stumped by this (just slightly ).

The reason is because when translating into Japanese, there are two entirely different classes of possible response: a sort-of normal straightforward translation vs. a rendering as "jukugo", i.e. a Chinese-compound style word read with onyomi (if you don't know what this means, sorry, but it would take too much effort to explain). Even a kunyomi compound will work for one...

I have responded on a few different threads in the past to people who wanted to know how to say X in Japanese, and my response is usually "tell us how you want to use the translation, and we can give you a much better answer." IIRC, typically the inquisitor disappears and never follows up the thread at that point.

If you want to know the best way to translate these, let us know how you would make use of the translation.

Dave

If it wasn't for the goat, you couldn't get in here for propaganda!