View Single Post
Old 10-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #86
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: What is "Aikido"?

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
And here I thought tenkan actually meant something was turning.
You keep confusing the waza with the basic strength... I've said this a number of times.
Quote:

Mike, really now, with over 1500 posts to your name, maybe just pointing to one or two? I could just as easily have said "Pull out the physics text -- it's in there." I tendered a tad more effort to your gauntlet to address the specific example, which is what I asked you to give me to do. Thank you, BTW.
Hmmmmm. Mark Freeman.... do you remember what the thread was? I know you were in the discussion. Erick, I don't mind talking about the basic theories up to a level, but there's a level I don't want to get into, mainly for the reason that there are some "body tricks" involved that I try to avoid because it will get some beginners to focus on the tricks and not the basic training/ideas/principles.
Quote:
The only arguably linear element present is the final irimi lean of the thigh which simply maintains the input connection (ki musubi) to fully transmit the constant moment of rotation throughout uke's entire kuzushi movement (constant force, over time = acceleration). Even that is strongly modulated by the hip turn that allows the wieght shift to occur.
I would suggest again that it's a lot simpler than that. If you look at a picture of O-Sensei simply standing there when someone pushes him.. and that's the same core force he uses in all kokyu-nage's, etc.... and if you still think that he's doing that rooted standing in some sort of "gyro-dynamic" way, then I don't know what to tell you.
Quote:
I don't think fune kogi/funatori/torifune or what ever term is preferred in your neck of the woods, does what you think that it does.

The linear motion you ascribe to that exercise, is not really linear, but a pendular rotation of the torso in the A/P axis. As I was taught the exercise, the hips pivot over the legs about a fixed point on the ground, but the legs compress toward the middle and extend toward at the front and rear, forming an inverted arc of your CG travel.
You're describing an arc opposite to the way O-Sensei does it on film, though. My comment is about the importance of the back and forth part of the fune-kogi-undo for beginners. The up and down part I'm not going to comment on in a public forum, at the present time. But I will say that I think you're doing a long and wasted analysis and missing the fairly simple point.

Regards,

Mike Sigman