View Single Post
Old 01-21-2002, 08:38 PM   #9
Sarah
Dojo: Aikido Shinryukan Canterbury
Re: a more subtle meaning...

Quote:
Originally posted by cconstantine
...I think there's a deeper question involved here.

The first interpretation (could you throw your identical clone) is important in measuring your concrete progress in Aikido. But, on a deeper level -- and I'm not sure the poll was meant to raise this question -- one's answer is critical of one's uke waza (the practice of being uke.)

And sometimes things are so subtle they're overlooked completely. You notice the third criterion I included up there - attitude.
ie would you-as-uke be interested in helping you-as-nage improve your aikido by providing an appropriate level of resistance
Or not

While there's a time and place for a very heavy/immovable/imposing (choose your style's favoured adjective) uke waza, making nage smack against a "brick wall" doesn't help them grow. It's my opinion that a good uke can always be thrown by nage because uke blends with nage.

Maybe make that smack repeatedly against a brick wall. I think the occasional smack is sometimes helpful.

I have occasionally been asked by sensei "why are you letting $nage get away with $sloppy_technique".
What I have taken from this is that its my responsibility as sempai/uke to give something that nage can learn something from.
And I have certainly learned stuff from "difficult" ukes, both senior and junior to me.

Uke brings the aggresive energy to the confrontation. But a good uke is one who can do all of that, and at the same time FEEL nage and be appropriate to nage's techniques and movement.

A good uke ramsp up and up and up as nage grows (over months/ years as well as during one class or a few minutes.)

I agree.

I think its important to believe that uke and nage practice together. Aikido is blending.

In your opinion, why does uke blend?

Please don't interpret my comments to mean I think uke should be wishy-washy, wimpy or fall over at the touch of a finger!

-Craig

I understand.
Its sometimes difficult to discuss aikido without sounding altogether too fluffy-bunny ;-)

Cheers
Sarah

Last edited by Sarah : 01-21-2002 at 11:11 PM.