View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #59
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: What is "Aikido"?

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
I second that.
The stuff is complicated and detailed...but its not "#$"#$ing rocket science.
True. That would be ballistics -- and orbital mechanics.
Quote:
Robert John wrote:
Actually Erick, there's a quick way to see if we're all on the same page.
Can you replicate the pushout exercise that's been posted before?
For everyone's reference::
Quote:
Robert John wrote:
...the pushout exercise I mentioned before.
... Two people face each other at arms length.
Feet shoulder width apart. Knees straight, not bent.
Person A's arms are extended, the Person B's arms are pulled back, chest open, shoulderblades touching, shoulders dropped.
A then tenses the arms (in whatever manner you feel comfortable with) with the specific aim to keep B from extending his arms.

B tries to extend his arms and move A back without RESTING his weight, or leaning in any manner, or using the arm muscles extensively.
If I understand your description of this exercise properly, it is kokyu tanden-ho/kokyu dosa in a standing position, with the connection at the shoulder, instead of at the wrist.

I see no fundamental difference in the kokyu movement for B to take A's center. It is merely foreshortened to the isolated shoulder girdle/clavicle rotation in connection with tanden, instead of the whole arm in tegatana.

I have done this exercise seated a number of times as a kokyu-ho variation. Having just tried it standing with my teenage son (who trains when he is not otherwise distracted) -- it is no different. What am I missing, if anything?

As to my physical interpretation of the dynamics, it is no different. A slight offset rotation of the line of force in A's arm by rolling the shoulder in tandem with tanden (cognate to the kokyu-tegatana hand expression, and then kokyu follows and drives the chain of rotational transformations -- which occur in precisely the way I indicated before.

Making it small makes it seem more mysterious, and requires more sensitivity and direction of will to follow the kokyu as it happens. It is not as obvious because of the diminution of gross movements -- but it is exactly the same. In some ways it is easier, because A's connection gives inherent moment on the torso that is not present in anything like that degree in the seated wrist grab.

"Body development" in the sense of "core strength" or "internal power" or whatever other buzzword is au courant is not what is operating. IF by "body development" one means the learned application of the body's fundamental balance functions (which is a matter of dynamics, not "strength") to more expressive purpose, then maybe we are talking apples and apples.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 10-01-2006 at 11:54 AM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.