View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 09:26 PM   #55
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: What is "Aikido"?

Quote:
David Orange wrote:
What I'm saying is that it is a mistake to construe aiki as using one's own strong structure to break down the opponent's strong structure.
Then we are in agreement. You infer something in regard to atemi that I did not state. Moving the sword from chudan to seigan is atemi. No touch required.
Quote:
David Orange wrote:
That's why I don't like to take a "scientific" approach to "explaining" things that I learned mostly without words.
And yet metaphorical explanations are readily accepted because they are traditional to Japanese teaching. The one is not superior to the other, but the mind asks for explanation, and receives best what it is prepared to hear. Purely physcial demonstration standing alone without any verbal component is a valid means of teaching. But it does little to broaden the reach of the art, however, as few who do not already understand something of aikido will seek that direct demonstration.
Quote:
David Orange wrote:
I don't know. I see sumo and judo as very similar, both basically using the principle of yawara or ju.
On that point of similarity I think I agree. That does not really contradict my observaiton of the difference, if it was even intended to.
Quote:
David Orange wrote:
I will have a look at your references, but I'm not sure they are critical to being able to actually perform aiki.
That remains to be seen. Won't know unless we try. But the point is to fit aikido within Western tradition. The same sort of thing was done for Buddhism in China -- yielding Zen. We will either put our own stamp on the art and develop the tradition in our own mode or aikido will not last two more generations here.
Quote:
David Orange wrote:
From what I've seen of "standard" or "mainstream" aikido ukemi, I wonder about that. Judo ukemi, on the other hand, seem really able to develop excellent control and limit injury in falling.
Never more than a couple of judo classes. My ukemi is all aikido, and it has rarely lacked to provided me with kaeshi waza in low and high energy settings, weapons or taijutsu. Aikido has alot more to offer than you give credit for.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 09-30-2006 at 09:29 PM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.