View Single Post
Old 09-29-2006, 06:38 AM   #15
Amelia Smith

Dojo: Martha's Vineyard Aikido Club
Re: Realistic Tanto Training

Quote:
By the end of our experiment I believe we have two conclusions. Firstly, if you are confronted with a live blade on the street you are more then likely going to get cut to some degree. That's not to say you will by seriously hurt or your technique will be ineffective but to expect to walk away unscathed is unrealistic.
True.

Quote:
Secondly, to be able to deal with a live blade on the street your dojo training must reflect possible situations that you are confronted with. Granted you can very fully recreate street situations in the dojo, but as close a possible in always best. Having committed honest attacks and resistance go a long way to achieve this.
Not so true. The main thing, in my opinion, is to have some idea of what one might do. The attack/technique is never going to be exactly the same "on the street" as in the dojo, but the same fundamental principles should apply. I don't think I would like the magic marker exercise -- too much laundry to be done afterwards, and it really doesn't work like a knife, at all. It just makes a mark. If you get nicked with a knife, no big deal. If you get stabbed hard in a vital spot, it's a real issue... though you might not be dead, or even fully incapacitated.

I agree with the basic idea that a few people have mentioned above -- a sneak attack by a trained person intent on killing you is pretty darn hard to defend against. However, a lot of "knife attacks" are not really attacks, per se, but techniques of intimidation.

"Hey lady, gimme your purse."
"Oh, you have a knife! May I see it?" (benign-looking little old lady steps in closer).
At this point the theif may attempt an actual attack, but is more likely to think. "This is one crazy grandma... I'm getting out of here!" The initial strategy has failed, and the theif may not be cool-headed enough to change tactics.

Then again, maybe it's just safer to hand over the purse (and not carry something that's so easily snatched!).

Now, you wouldn't want to rely on that kind of thing too often, but the point is that an effective defense has to deal as much, or more, with the attacker's intent than with the immediate physical positions.

I also agree that:
Quote:
... there is usually some dialogue between the knife wielder and intended victim. Here you need to be a student of human behaviour and conflict management.

If you can recognise the warning signs, physical and verbal and spot the approach of the point where verbal turns physical then you may have opportunity to pre-empt an attack. Or better still disappear.
Training can never cover all possible scenarios, but it's still useful!