View Single Post
Old 09-22-2006, 06:59 AM   #12
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Use of Japanese terminology...

I used to be 100% against the use of japanesse terms. That was until I had the oppertunity to train with a guy who spoke little english. He was a judo player and I was able to relate to him with judo terms. However, I've been to a few judo and jjj (japanese juijitsu) schools, and I find they use different words for different things. This lack of consistant terms seems to undermind the whole point of using japanese.

On the other end of the spectrum, in BJJ, 90% of the techniques I know have the same names. It's just an armbar, or a keylock. The fact that I know at least a dozen chokes off hand that I don't have any names for (I'll call it the choke where I slide my leg over your face, or the choke with my forarm) is also very funny. People in bjj tend to give names to techniques by themselves. So the same technique can have many names (example shoalin choke is called at least 3 different names I Know of).

So in the end I said screw it. I'll just call it whatever the guy teaching it to me calls it. If it's english, then it's english. If it's japanese then it's japanese, if he tells me what its called in russian, I guess i"m using russian.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein