View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 01:53 PM   #72
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)??

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
An actively gyrostabilized sytem does not "move" -- like a Segway, or a hovering helo. In fact, they display an almost "live" feel of near instantaneous recovery from disturbance. But there is an awful lot going on to achieve such graceful immobility (motion in stillness). My atoms are whirling and quivering around at ungodly speeds, but here I sit like a lump.

There are two functional aspects to conventional gyros -- 1) sensory and 2) operative stability. A vibrating quartz crystal can be used as a gyro rate sensor. Some systems can perform both functions simultaneously. The second function involves overt motion of the system, the first does not, although it may be used as feedback input to accomplish the other, as in the Segway. Both aspects are in play in my conception.

I know from personal experience in flying as well as aikido that achieving such stable (non)motion with a fundamentally unstable structure is far more intuitive than conscious in operation, and thus I need to identify all the components that inform that intuitive feel, in order to train better. This is what I am digging at.
You seem to be saying in essence that there is a "self-correcting-stabilizing" mode in a gyrodynamic model. OK, fine. There is. I'm saying that a linear-forces model is also self-correcting. The idea of "six directions" training, etc., is related to linear/vector directions, not the gyroscopic stability you're talking about. Think of a bead with small bungee strings pulling the bead up, down, forward, back, left, right. Even vibrating atoms isn't going to get you any closer than "sounds sorta like", Erick.

When it comes to the applications of the linear forces, as in "aiki", I think levers and pullies is pretty much all there is to it, in true motion involving jin/kokyu. One of the interesting things you said a few posts back was about teaching a "tradition". The "tradition" of the forces stretched between Heaven and Earth and harmonizing with them has never, that I have ever seen, mentioned anything other than sometimes circular application of linear forces.

FWIW

Mike