View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #71
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)??

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
Basically, the explanations I have laid out I relate to basic physical phenomena that can be described with force vectors and basic skills.
Then I hardly see why gyroscopic mechanics is such a stretch.
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
I think you have a nice theory about a more-than-elemental concept, but I consider "aiki" to be simply an offshoot of more elemental forces; nothing more.
So do I, but it is not just that -- or "simply" anything. Everything has its ura side. I'll leave it at that.
Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
True Aiki doesn't require any motion of the body whatsoever.... i.e., "gyrodynamics" is not needed except as a conceptually less-refined form of what "aiki" really is.
I don't think I have said otherwise. Gyrodynamics or gyrocopic mechanics is hardly unrefined (although my attempts to work out its application in this instance may well be). It does not require overt motion of the body, although it can operate on it.

An actively gyrostabilized sytem does not "move" -- like a Segway, or a hovering helo. In fact, they display an almost "live" feel of near instantaneous recovery from disturbance. But there is an awful lot going on to achieve such graceful immobility (motion in stillness). My atoms are whirling and quivering around at ungodly speeds, but here I sit like a lump.

There are two functional aspects to conventional gyros -- 1) sensory and 2) operative stability. A vibrating quartz crystal can be used as a gyro rate sensor. Some systems can perform both functions simultaneously. The second function involves overt motion of the system, the first does not, although it may be used as feedback input to accomplish the other, as in the Segway. Both aspects are in play in my conception.

I know from personal experience in flying as well as aikido that achieving such stable (non)motion with a fundamentally unstable structure is far more intuitive than conscious in operation, and thus I need to identify all the components that inform that intuitive feel, in order to train better. This is what I am digging at.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.