View Single Post
Old 09-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #69
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)??

Your remarks/opinion appear to be mostly commentary, Erick, so I'm not going to spend a lot of time wrangling you over opinion. Basically, the explanations I have laid out I relate to basic physical phenomena that can be described with force vectors and basic skills. That is how far "kokyu power" can be resolved. You are applying "gyrodynamics" as "aiki"... but real "aiki" is not resolveable really into an analogue like "right hand rule" or "gyrodynamics". I.e., I would counter that my explanations are at a far more elemental level than yours are. Even Inaba Sensei's explanation works at a far more elemental level than yours. I think you have a nice theory about a more-than-elemental concept, but I consider "aiki" to be simply an offshoot of more elemental forces; nothing more.

True, "aiki" is sophisticated (and there are different levels of that sophistication), but it can still be explained by incremental analysis on a fairly basic level.

My initial suggestion was that you simply think of the basic "ki tests", some of which Ueshiba showed, too, and you'll find there the root to what "aiki" is. True Aiki doesn't require any motion of the body whatsoever.... i.e., "gyrodynamics" is not needed except as a conceptually less-refined form of what "aiki" really is.

Regards,

Mike Sigman