View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #54
Gernot Hassenpflug
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Japan
Re: What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)??

Hello Erick, I enjoyed your exposition a lot. In particular, cutting analysis by engineers is something that martial arts requires for understanding, and also for teaching. I am sure that your explanation is not the most basic part of martial arts, but it does touch on a part of it, namely the dynamic part of stillness. In Akuzawa's exercises, that would correspond to a continual interplay between the forces maintaining the 3-dimensions of axes. Where I think you're going into "strategy" is in your emphasis on visible external movements. I think your explanation is pretty good and applicable, I just think the underlying strength that enables you to accomplish this, and methods to train this, are vital to be able to do this against other trained persons, and are at the root of the OP's pointed question. Your point about the "chaotic figure of eight" illustrates that dillemma. How can we control that precisely, how can we train that more strongly and use it's power less randomly? In other words, the internal mechamics of movement over the external ones.

Regards, Gernot