View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai
Location: VA
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 390
Re: Training at Hombu Dojo

You definately need the USAF passport! If you don't have it then you will be required to join the dojo which costs about $85 4yrs. ago then pay the class fees. While with the USAF passport it will cost you $15 and you can stay and practice all day. Hopefully someone is behind the glass in the office that can speak English. They will ask you a few questions like rank, Sensei, where you are from, etc... I was lucky that my wife came with me and did all the necessary translation. However, since you have only been practicing for 11 months that will mean that you can only practice in the beginners dojo which is on the second floor. The main dojo where all the big boys and girls practice is on the third floor and you must be 3rd kyu in order to get on the mat. You should be able to still watch the class though. Oh, the last point is to make sure that you find out which is the correct door to enter the dojos. Each dojo has two doors side by side, one for the students and the other strickly only for Sensei. I think the student door is on the left but make sure you confirm this! I almost made this mistake for I had never heard of this and luckily a Japanese student caught me in time.
  Reply With Quote