View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 07:51 AM   #33
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)??

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote:
((snip general musings))
Juji, as I have begun to understand it, is how aikido teaches to sense (or iinfer) and then to respond to the gyrodynamic rotation/oscillation in human movement. To describe my understanding, the brain/spirit/makoto learns in aikido training to provide resultant inputs to the attacker's joints along the axis of the gyrodynamic resultant, regardless whether "classical" gyrodynamics would seem to apply. The brain can posit a gyro dynamic according to the principle of virtual work. The result is spooky, tricky and very unnerving to the unprepared attacker's kinesthettic sytem, when everything goes wrong and yet he cannot feel exactly why.

The attacker intends his action to act in a single plane to maximize directed energy. If a motion rotates or oscillates it is admissible as a gyrodynamic input evenif it is only one oscillation or a very small rotation -- and the brain can treat it as it as such. By treating the attacking joint/body motion as a virtual gyro, the brain uses the principle of virtual work to create an output that is not a counterattack along or evasion from the incoming vector plane of rotation or oscillation (the more common martial response) but a gyrodynamic displacement of it by entering directly, and turning. The attack and the response in aiki are never in the same plane in a physical sense, as O-Sensei said "In Aikido there is never any attack."

I have not yet touched on the issue of magnitude, but radial ratios should give some idea of the manipulaiton of force amplification or dampening that are possible by such gyrodynamic means.
Hi Erick:

How about applying your analysis to simply lifting your arm "using the hara"? Wouldn't that be a better practical start? Or Tohei's "ki tests"? And of course, ultimately you're left with that ideal of "stillness in motion"... i.e., the movements of articulated joints around axes is not the question anymore... to analyse. It appears to me that you're trying to apply a mechanical analysis to a strategy, at the moment, and I'm not sure a method of movement is itself the stratagy or tactic.

Regards,

Mike Sigman

More sugar for a dime than you probably wanted, but you did ask ...[/quote]