View Single Post
Old 01-16-2002, 10:21 PM   #48
Edward
Thailand
Originally posted by jimvance

I feel we are saying similar things but in different ways, emphasizing different aspects.

Hypothetical: What happens when two teachers practice together? Let's make the point of saying they are of equal rank and have different strengths and weaknesses, but are basically technically equal. How do they progress with their practice?

If it's a private practice or before or after class, I expect major discussions and analysis of techniques, which I have seen on several occasions during seminars and just watching this can be very educating. But during class, techniques are usually not discussed, just taught.

The point I am trying to make is not intended to be litigious.

In the countrary, it's a very interesting discussion.

My point: From where do we receive our authority in our practice? If you are a junior student, a beginner, the teacher is the source of authority. At what point do we gain authority, and where does that authority come from? I know this is somewhat off the subject of the thread, but I think it relates to the initial post. Some people claim that all authority in Aikido comes from its founder, some make other claims. Do we become teachers when our teacher says that we can, or do we take authority in small bites, starting with ourselves? These are hypothetical questions that as a beginner I needed answered.

In my opinion, we all have something to say no matter the rank or the experience. Authority is always earned and not given. I believe we get it by earning the respect not only of our teachers but also that of our fellow classmates.
I have seen teachers who enjoyed more authority than their seniors simply because students recognized in them certain technical and humane qualities which are higher than those of the seniors.

In the model given above, I doubt there would be a lot of "chatter" from the two high level practitioners. But I doubt they would tell each other to "shut up and train".

In my experience, those who explain the most are beginners. Eventhough I have encountered old aged high ranking Shihans who wouldn't stop teaching me during practice , but in this case, I am the one who should shut up and listen and feel grateful for the (undeserved)attention they are showing towards me.

Cheers,
Edward