View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 10:34 PM   #25
clwk
United_States
Re: What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)??

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
I tend to think of an opponent as a 4-legged stool that has the 2 diagonal legs missing. He may have a number of ways to weight-shift and keep his balance (including putting some of his weight on me, thereby giving him 3 legs total), but understanding his balance and "hearing" his forces, he's almost always moveable (i.e., "double-weighted") when I use my middle to do it.
Here's a variation on the theme - i.e., the same principle put into a more concrete situation. You have posted before about using the ground to nullify kote mawashi (nikajo). That obviously works well, but I find that sometimes, if I let nage get my wrist into the least advantageous possible position (for the sake of training) where they have maximum compression of the wrist to the forearm and have their full body weight to bring the fingers up and over (in other words, it's becoming a pure attack on the joint) that this can surpass what I can take 'into my body'.

At this point though, or even if you *could* just use the ground to hold nage statically, it's an interesting exercise to move him by either sending his crank back into him so that he pushes himself into the hole to his rear, or redirect it so that he pulls himself into the hole to the front (there are other directions, but these are the most obvious and easiest ones to get started with). It's frustrating for nage (so, somewhat anti-social I'll admit) because even though he knows you're not letting him have the technique, it's hard to understand what you're doing, and he feels like he's robbing himself of his own power.

I just thought I'd throw that out there in case someone else wanted to play with it. The good thing about being uke for joint locks is that it's the one time you're guaranteed to get that 'committed attack' we're always whining about not getting. Nage always 'commits' to putting the lock on uke, and . . . viola!

-ck