View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 07:13 PM   #21
eyrie

Australia
Re: What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)??

I have to agree with Mike... the issue is not whether you have kuzushi or not before you can effect the technique, but rather HOW to effect kuzushi in order to complete the technique. Usually, if you can effect kuzushi on contact, often uke will already start to collapse their structure even before the technique is completed.... unless they are extremely well-connected.... in which case something else possibly needs to happen and then it depends on relative ability and skill.

I think (on a basic level) the thing to look at is how to transfer your "weight" to the weak points in uke's structure so as to render them incapable of supporting the "combined" weight - usually at the outer limits of where the body can maintain its own structural integrity.

Let's use our big Maori dude as an example... he has huge hands and wrists, and not a lot of joint flexibility. Often it is quite difficult to "twist" (or bend or fold if you prefer?) his wrist into kote-gaeshi, even (especially!!) if some external force is applied. However, knowing where the outer limit of his structural integrity lies, I can quite easily drop him instantly, without getting the actual "kote-gaeshi". Or, have him drop himself by simply getting him to resist the technique. The more he resists, the quicker he drops.

This has to do with my adding weight through the weak points and outer limits of his structural integrity whilst maintaining my own structural integrity, so much so that his structure can no longer support the additional weight. Of course, there are other body tricks that can be used to augment the technique...but that's another story.

The point is, it doesn't take much physical force or weight to effect this... it's as delicate and subtle as 2 forks and a needle stuck in a cork balancing on a string. If one fork is heavier or denser than the other, the CG is off and the whole contraption is unbalanced.

As for striking/kicking... well, these are part and parcel of aikido waza. That they are not openly or overtly practiced doesn't mean they don't exist or are not part of the paradigm. If the opening presents itself for atemi or if atemi is necessary to create the opening, then I see no reason why one should limit one's technical repertoire. After all, what good is learning sword and staff within an aikido context if one does not learn how to use one's body as an extension of the sword or jo (or vice versa)?

Ignatius