View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 03:49 PM   #20
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)??

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote:
If you don't have kuzushi you don't continue with the Kotegaeshi, you do a different technique.
Hmmmmmm..... I can think of a number of times where I haven't had kuzushi, but I had the kotegaeshi and then pretty quick I had kuzushi. Remember that all general statements of fact are subject to error except this one.
Quote:
That technique is dependent on the direction uke is exerting the force of the resistance. Aikido is not a battle of your force against uke's force. You blend in with the direction that uke's mass and acceleration is already taking him/her.
So think about the examples on film of where O-Sensei or Shioda, etc., respond to uke's attack with a shoulder strike or push uke back up into the air after grabs or use their back straight against uke pushing into their back. How does your statement "blend in with the direction that uke's mass and acceleration is already taking him/her" work? Unless, of course, you're positing that they had it wrong?
Quote:
Which is where I see more value to what you and Mike and others are talking about internal strength. I think that what you are saying is more applicable to uke's attack and what is going on with uke's body. If you understand where uke's balance and power is, then you can match your Aikido technique to it, not confront it with your own power.

This is not to say that your ideas are not effective in an striking, kicking art, but my understanding about Aikido is more to do with knowing how to use uke's balance and power against him and not nage's power.
Well wait a minute... Aikido uses those nasty ole atemi/strikes.... would you say those should be left for the martially inferior "striking, kicking arts"? Personally, I don't know anything about how Rob fights so I won't speak for him, but as amateurish as I admittedly am, I can still usually "blend with" and snatch a fair number of people around using their own forces. I.e., let's not get the impression that Aikido has a monopoly on anything. I don't know of any art that does.

Regards,

Mike Sigman