View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 08:56 AM   #16
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)??

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
For example, let's take kotegaeshi for example.Most people can resist this technique after several years of MA training. The trick isn't in "how" you lock the wrist, or how you position yourself, but rather how you disperse your opponents resistant force "in you", while sending your own "M" into them.
IE, weight transfer. Which is probably why Gozo Shioda said that its a key principle in Aikido.
Gotte disagree here on the "resist" issue. If by "resist" you mean to absorb the Big Strong Guy's (tm) application of the Wicked Wrist Crank (tm) as a shugyo exercise in ukemi, maybe But as nage waza, no thanks. I am not dispersing his resistant force, because I do not apply the cranking force for him to resist. My kotegaeshi has nothing to do with wrist cranking, and everything to do with tai-sabaki and kokyu tanden, as I was taught. The wrist just provide positive connection to tie his movement to mine. Nor is the wrist the the only connection.

In kotegaeshi ura-waza soto mawari, I was taught to initially connect from the ankle, knee, hips shoulder, elbow and wrist. There is no point of articulation where he can move separately from me, and when that movement is begun I turn and remove myself from the hole he is about to fall into. Uke falls because he simply has nothing (other than me) holding him up any more when I and he move together, and when I extend our connection then his structure collapse of its own accord. Omote waza essentially uses the same principle in reverse, beginning with a typically extended connection and then progressively connecting at the points of articulation while turning in an entering -- drawing him more and more firmly out of his center in kokyu tanden, until he has no further support and again collapses.

If he is capable of entering in return for the kaeshi in the omote waza you simply continue the entry and turn carrying his center out and around in kokyu tanden and it becomes kokyunage or koshi nage. If he does the same in ura waza typical henka are iriminage or some species of otoshi.

If by "weight transfer" you mean this application of kokyu tanden, then maybe its a matter of appples -- Granny Smith versus Macintosh but apples all the same. "Weight transfer" has a linear force-couple/plane rotation feel to it , which is a good principle or image for judo, but is not complete image for how aikido functions. Kokyu tanden is more gyroscopic in its application -- the resultant is not easily correlated with the input vectors.

Prompting connection is aiki -- but provoking resistance is not aiki. The difference is in the application of juji +. A fine line perhaps, but a definite line nevertheless.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.