View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #11
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)??

Quote:
Ignatius Teo wrote:
My description probably sux, since I failed high school physics... but my guess is that depending on the strength of that "cord", and one's abillity to release the elastic energy through the hands into the other person is probably the key - effectively transferring the weight of your body through the hands into the other person - usually towards the "open gate" in order to effect kuzushi.

I've been experimenting with the idea lately... just from a same side wrist grab and throwing the person without moving my feet, and with the barest minimum movement, just by sending my weight through the empty spot(s).

One of my students is 126kg (big Maori dude built like a brick sh!thouse!), and when I get this curious look on his face when he falls over, I know I've done it right. The trick is getting him to use his 126kg frame to do the same to me without him using arm power.

However, at this stage, I'm not certain if it's exactly "weight", or conversion of "weight" or energy potential to force that's involved. What are your thoughts?
Hi Ignatius:

I don't totally agree with what you're saying or with your analogy/visualization, but I pretty much understand what you're trying to say and I agree/understand with those general principles.

The point I'd make is that you're having to use a lot of self-discovery (as does Rob, as do I, etc.) and you're both finding your way AND trying to describe something publicly in a satisfactory way, so the upshot is that your description will be different from Rob's will be different from mine and we all 3 (there are other people also, but I'm just making a point using 3 examples) will have varying degrees of skills and varying emphases in what we do exactly... so some terminology and description differences are to be expected. This question of "why there are differences in descriptive terminology throughout Asia" is probably being answered, as we speak, in this thread.

Regards,

Mike