View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
eyrie

Australia
Re: What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)??

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
So how do you still do Kotegaeshi on someone that it seems like you haven't got kuzushi on?

My guess (and from practical experience) is that you need to use that very weight transfer that Shioda was talking about.
If you do it right, it should even look minimal. A slight movement will take your uke down, no matter how hard he resists. (Since to them it feels like you're sending your "weight" inside them).
I think you have to!

Externally and physically speaking, fune-kogi undo is one way of accomplishing the weight transfer...

Internally... the best analogy I can come up with is like a taut elastic cord running through your skeleton, from the rear foot to the hands. As you stretch the cord from the middle (however you want to stretch it - by breath or winding), because the foot end is anchored, the tension has to be released out the "free" end.

My description probably sux, since I failed high school physics... but my guess is that depending on the strength of that "cord", and one's abillity to release the elastic energy through the hands into the other person is probably the key - effectively transferring the weight of your body through the hands into the other person - usually towards the "open gate" in order to effect kuzushi.

I've been experimenting with the idea lately... just from a same side wrist grab and throwing the person without moving my feet, and with the barest minimum movement, just by sending my weight through the empty spot(s).

One of my students is 126kg (big Maori dude built like a brick sh!thouse!), and when I get this curious look on his face when he falls over, I know I've done it right. The trick is getting him to use his 126kg frame to do the same to me without him using arm power.

However, at this stage, I'm not certain if it's exactly "weight", or conversion of "weight" or energy potential to force that's involved. What are your thoughts?

Ignatius