View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #8
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)??

Quote:
Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
Rob, keeping in mind that I don't really have any practical knoweldge of this stuff yet, here's my take. The quality of weight transfer depends basically on how well one can apply 6-direction tension (used here for lack of a better word) in the lower body. I say this because it is much harder for me to feel it there, compared to the arms. Thus, my thinking is that misdirected tensions in the lower body will do the most to change the weight transfer into a small fall instead of an incrementally changing static stable position.
Gernot,

Think of it this way.
6 directions will become "atarimae" or a "given."
The tensions are only there so you can learn the lines. Then it becomes a game of how well you can "relax" those lines "into" the other person.

Annecdote:
We recently had a 240lb Australian dude that's about 40 now, but has been boxing since he was 8. On top of that he's had 20 years of Rugby.
When I had him hold the airshield, I had a little of that adrenline rush that was putting a little more tension into my body (in order to keep the connections) than usual.
Result?
My side kick, which normally floors a lot of people (based on shikko movement) rebounded into me.
Surprise surprise, the guy had a fairly stable lower body from all those years of Rugby. Which meant that on the second go, I had to "relax" the lines of tension, which caused kuzushi on him at impact. He was just as surprised as I was, especially considering the non existent windup on my part.

He was a big m"#$""#$er though

Anyways, point being, if you can't use the "paths" in a relaxed manner, it'll still rebound back into you.

"Butukari no nai karada wo tukuru" -> "Create a body that does not impede any force" is what Sagawa said. I'm starting to get an inkling as to what he was hinting at.

By the by,
Six directional force in the upper and lower parts of the body are equally important if you ask me, its the harmonization of those paths on the front side and back side, upper and lower, that're most important at the first stage. Chouwa suru koto ga ichiban taisetu kamosirenai.

Last edited by Upyu : 09-13-2006 at 04:00 PM.