View Single Post
Old 01-16-2002, 11:54 AM   #44
jimvance
Dojo: Jiyushinkan
Quote:
Originally posted by Edward
...But it deals, I guess, with the teacher's approach, and in this respect, I have nothing to say.
But the problem is when partners start teaching, this is where we disagree...
Hypothetical: What happens when two teachers practice together? Let's make the point of saying they are of equal rank and have different strengths and weaknesses, but are basically technically equal. How do they progress with their practice?
The point I am trying to make is not intended to be litigious.
My point: From where do we receive our authority in our practice? If you are a junior student, a beginner, the teacher is the source of authority. At what point do we gain authority, and where does that authority come from? I know this is somewhat off the subject of the thread, but I think it relates to the initial post. Some people claim that all authority in Aikido comes from its founder, some make other claims. Do we become teachers when our teacher says that we can, or do we take authority in small bites, starting with ourselves? These are hypothetical questions that as a beginner I needed answered.
If you decide to practice a certain way, be sure that it serves a purpose, and is not detrimental to your progress or the progress of others. In the model given above, I doubt there would be a lot of "chatter" from the two high level practitioners. But I doubt they would tell each other to "shut up and train".

Jim Vance