View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
What is Weight Transfer(Taijuuidou)??

Someone posed this question earlier in one of the threads (after PMing me), and no one offered anything, so I thought I'd hopefully kickstart a discussion about this seemingly simple (but important) concept.

I'll outline some of my thoughts on the issue, and was hoping others could throw their thoughts in the basket as well.
(None of this is set in stone, simply comes from my experience as well as from what I've seen and felt from competent people in various arts.)

At first glance the word seems to explain itself. "Transfer" your weight.
Or simply throw your weight onto the person.
If you want to generate maximum force, simply use your weight.
MA=F right?

My personal thoughts are that it's not "that" simple.
Those that've already read my little speal on Training the Body for Martial Movement probably already know what I'm going to get into.
First in order to transfer M, you'll want to make sure that "M" is
100% of M.
For most people this is a "duh, I'm using my body, ergo I'm using a 100%."

The problem is that the human body is loaded with muscles which we've generally trained to act "individually".
The second stress comes locally to any given point, you start to take away the "effect" of "M".

This effect is pretty obvious in the "pushout" drill I posted before.
http://www.badongo.net/vid/197241

If you try and push the other person with localized strength, you'll end up pushing yourself back (assuming the other person is connected).
Most people "think" they relax the shoulders, but when they try this particular drill they'll find they tense up.

Some will try to use the Scaps, which isn't it either. (Try it, but don't use tricks, as in suddenly pushing the other person. The extension has to be slow and consistent)

Still others might try and use the "one" point, which is better, but if you come up against someone that understands "real" weight transfer, you'll probably get jammed.

So what is real weight transfer?
It means that at the point of contact, if you can spread the tension across your body equally, you can maintain perfect balance, maximizing "M".
This applies to whether you're throwing a strike, executing a joint lock or whatever.

For example, let's take kotegaeshi for example.
Most people can resist this technique after several years of MA training. The trick isn't in "how" you lock the wrist, or how you position yourself, but rather how you disperse your opponents resistant force "in you", while sending your own "M" into them.
IE, weight transfer. Which is probably why Gozo Shioda said that its a key principle in Aikido.

So how to train the skill?
Solo training.

Any other thoughts?

PS
I've recently had some thoughts on weight transfer and Aikido's knee walking but I'm hoping to weight until other people kick in with their opinoins.