View Single Post
Old 08-07-2000, 05:53 PM   #8
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada
I've occasionally done holds during randori but recognize the folly of doing this with multiple attackers .I just need to expand my repertoir of techniques and start building the right reflexes, I'm used to doing the pins over and over again in beginner classes and so I often move into them. Fortunately ther are ways of turning ikkyo, nikyo and sankyo into throws.
I have to disagree about some things said about ikkyo and shihonage though. First of all, how does ikkyo injure joints. I have been brought down hard with ikkyo, my nose into the mat, but I can't remember it ever hurting my joints. I've also never had shihonage hurt my shoulder, you can do it and break an arm at the elbow but if you bring the arm around quickly and bring the hand behind the shoulder blade, you can drop a person on his back rather quickly without putting much pressure on his joints. I also think ikkyo is one of the easiest techniques to do at high speeds, but maybe that's because I practiced it so much for my fifth kyu exam (from a shomen uchi attack).