Old 09-07-2006, 09:57 PM   #18
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Re: iwama note, censored?

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
It's sad aikidoka can be so petty, intolerant and unforgiving. I don't think O'Sensei would have been very pleased.
Hello Mr Riggs,

I am not so sure about that. The split between Tohei Sensei and Kisshomaru Doshu developed while O Sensei was alive, but from everything that I have heard, he might well have been displeased, but did nothing to stop it. Nor did Kisshomaru Doshu take any steps to stop the acrimonious dispute between Nishio Sensei and my own teacher which I referred to in my earlier post.

Now I am not quite sure why this should be so and it might be that I am making assumptions based on 'western' individual values. In the west, with so much emphasis based on free expression and the importance of saying what one feels--immediately, it is very easy also to assume pretty well immediately that non-'western' cultures are lacking in an important respect. Well, I once tried to break up a quarrel between two Japanese shihan in a 'western' way and did not succeed, with the further consequence that my relationship with both was affected, for the worse.

The Japanese go to great lengths to 'solve' conflicts by avoiding them. They do not go in for the kind of stuff that Terry Dobson writes about in Aikido in Everyday Life. If a conflict arises, the 'wa' has been broken, but it is both sides that have broken it. I know this, even from such a simple form of conflict as a road accident.

Best wishes,

P A Goldsbury