View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 11:36 PM   #12
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: Randori No Kata - history etc

Nah I'm here - I just don't really know how they developed exactly and besides there is some Iwama guy on another thread saying our little thing is fake - I am sure he's right.

There were originally 15 and I think Jack Mumpower in the states refuses to change since that's what Tomiki taught him. Understandable even if Tomiki moved on.

The Junanahon are the base of the Tomiki system but are designed with randori in mind. They are what's tested during the kyu grades, at Ikkyu and the tanto variation from Shodan. Related to these are the 19 and I would call these more of a teaching set.

The first 5 atemi are of course there followed by the 6 hijiwaza used at the yonkyu level (one more than than used in the junanahon). There are no ukiwaza but they have four kotegeishi and four kotehineri techniques based on the four standard grips. Aigamae junte dori, aigamae gyakudori, gyakugamae juntedori and gyakugamae gyakudori. These different grips show up throughout the kyu grades in other waza and through those evil nigiri gaeshi jodan and chudan no tsukuri.

If you train at Honbu for even a short period of time Nariyama Shihan will haul out those four grips and make your head hurt - trying to remember the associated waza. He seems to have it perfectly timed for me to forget them as soon as he hauls them out - Omonishi and myself are doing these a lot at Himeji lately just so I can avoid the embarrassment again. Point being - the 19 are something instructor level students should know even if they are not as a whole part of the curriculum.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido