View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #8
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Internal & External strength discussion

I think they try to make more efficient training all the time. It is just they dont use the same terminology. In fact I hear my bjj coach saying things like "I've found this movement to require less effort." Or show me a way to improve what I am doing by using less strength. MMA training in general has come a long way from 1990. In the end, 3 things are still the most important no matter what you are doing. Any smart fighter can tell you what they are. Balance, breathing, relaxation. Sport fighters also talk a lot about mindset required to win fights. Visualization is a big part in a lot of figthers training. Another common straw is using the core body over the limbs. You dont punch with your arms, you dont armbar with your arms, you use your core. Your hips and what aikido calls the 'hara' are just as vital and preached about in bjj, judo, boxing, etc. It is just they use a differnt term, or they just say "your middle is stronger they his arm".

When you get down to it, the concepts are the same, but the training methods used to build them, and terms used to describe them are what is different. I'm a big fan of finding the best training methods to build whatever it is I want to build. If I think my breathing suffers, I run wind sprints in addition to my normal run. I have yet to find a better way to work on controling my breath (I also admit I really really need to run more). The same was true for me with ki fundamentals. I never really developed any usable skill until I started training heavly in bjj. Once I started sparing 4 times a week and competing frequenty I felt things click and make sense. I developed skills at a rapid rate.

YOu have to make choices in training. Things suffer, things grow, things stagnate. I personaly feel a lot of internal strenghts are useful, but not as useful as the experiance gained from constant sport engagmenets (sparing, competition, etc) Perhaps as I max out the sport path and find my physical limits (which at 26 I have yet to do). I will find more value in kata training. Right now the ki skills I find value in are coming naturally from good fundamental understanding of body mechanics.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein