View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:03 PM   #22
JAMJTX
Dojo: Aikibudo Seishinkan
United_States
Re: Died while practicing aikido?

I am sorry to hear of your loss.
All you really can do is to continue to train and honor your friend.
It will take time, but yo will get through this ok. It's not something you get over, getting over it implies you will forget. You won't forget. But you will get through it.

One of my teachers keeps photos of students and teachers in the dojo. On one side of the dojo are the photos of those who have passed away. Each time someone passed, he took thier photo and moved it to the other side of the dojo. People may read this different ways. He never said what this means to him and I never asked. To me it says, they're on the other side, but still with us in spirit.

If your friend knew he were dying then and had a moment to say something to you, what do you think it would be? Very likely he would have told you not to sit around feeling sorry, but to go on and have a good life. As I'm sure you would have said to him, among other things. It's hard to do, but you have to keep moving forward and not let this consume you. Doing that is no way to honor the memory of your friend. Live the life your friend would want you to have and always remember him well.

Jim Mc Coy