View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 05:47 AM   #4
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Internal & External strength discussion

Quote:
Don Magee wrote:
<snip>
You should never be fighting to secure an arm for a keylock or an armbar. Your position and body weight should make it impossible for him to defend.

A lot of what some people call internal strenght is really what a lot of wrestlers I know can proper positioning or the right way to use your arms and legs.

Many roads leading to the same place I guess.
Good advice Don, but what's funny is that you don't see many that follow that advice, even in the pro circuits. You forgot to add speed to that list of position and leverage.
Everyone is "competing" on this same field.

What happens when you get a wrestler who knows how to use his position and weight, but STILL gets flipped over with ease by the guy on the bottom.

So as far as your quote about internal strength, I'd say that I'd disagree. I work out with wrestlers as well, none of them have ever felt the kind of stuff I can do, or what some of my classmates can do.
Whether you can "fight" with those skills is a seperate issue of course.

I was just discussing this the other day though with the wrestlers/shoot fighters I work out with, and we all agreed that if you want to get ahead, especially in today's increasingly competitive ring environments, the need to bring something "new" to the table is going to increase. You'll need something that's more than just basic leverage, positioning, timing and power. The funny thing is that these body skills take care of leverage and positioning automatically really (And I have my own theories on how it automatically gives you a boost in timing, by default)
It's going to be an interesting day when you see a wrestler/shoot fighter/mmaer whatever that integrates this stuff seamleslly into his game.