View Single Post
Old 09-02-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
statisticool
United_States
Re: Internal & External strength discussion

Thanks Don! I enjoyed reading your response.

Today I was thinking about this some more and decided to quote mine a few martial arts books.

I found 8 quotes, one of which I already gave the answer to:

1. You will become one with him. You and your opponent will no longer be two bodies separated from each other but a single entity, physically, mentally, and spiritually inseparable.

2. The fists punch the opponent's chest. This punch is very powerful. When the opponent receives the blow there is great danger he will be gravely injured.

3. Use four tahils against a thousand katis, ie use minimum force to neutralize maximum strength.

4. ...is a time-proven method of self discovery and personal development in which beating an opponent is not nearly as important as the physical, mental, and spiritual growth that take place during the process of training and practicing.

5. Emphasis is placed on development of the mind rather than on techniques.

6. The torso should be erect. No leaning allowed. Coupled with properly bent knees, you will feel the balance of your body dwelling somewhere around your belly (this is a good place to keep it, too)...

7. Also make sure your back foot is not directly behind the lead foot (your feet should stay shoulder-width apart).

8. ...since the force generated by the use of the body as a whole will be greater than that obtainable by employing any of its parts separately (i.e., arms, legs, etc.), so will the force resulting from the use of the mind and body as a totality be greater than that realizable by their separate employment.

Here are 8 martial art styles that these quotes are pulled from. Note that they are a mix of 'internal' and 'external':

a. fencing
b. muay thai
c. karate
d. judo
e. aikido
f. taijiquan
g. boxing
h. shaolin

One can try matching the quotes to their styles. No one I've given it to has been able to score too well, which to me implies that so many things in martial arts are universal, such as relaxation, moving from the center, using the mind, using the whole body, good timing, good balance, and etc., to make a lot of grey area in the distinctions.

Answers:
[spoiler]
1, d, The Secrets of Judo, judo

2, f, Cheng Tzu's 13 Treatises on T'ai Chi Ch'uan, taijiquan

3, h, The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu, shaolin

4, b, Fighting Strategies of Muay Thai: Secrets of Thailand's Boxing Camps, muay thai

5, c, Karate-Do Kyohan: The Master Text, karate

6, a, The Art and Science of Fencing, fencing

7, g, The Ultimate Boxer: Understanding the Sport and Skills of Boxing , boxing

8, e, Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere, aikido
[/spoiler]

Justin

Last edited by statisticool : 09-02-2006 at 08:06 PM.

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."