View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 01:59 PM   #47
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Deep Breathing and its meaning

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Has anyone dealt with the proscriptions against some of the traditional qigongs, and / or the little details that some require to avoid pitfalls like the one Dennis just described? An example for the one above...we are always told to keep the tongue pressed firmly against the roof of the mouth.

I've heard various explanations for this, from the practical (we are supposed to do this throughout our practice actually, keeps from biting your tongue or talking to much), to the mechanistic (creates certain connections for the body work), to the quasi-spiritual (keeps the ki from rising up into your head and causing mental/spiritual problems). Does anyone have any good written sources on any of this? Or even personal anecdotes?
Well, I used to shrug it off as one of those little idiosyncratic things that is more ritual than anything else, but once again I got bitten in the butt.

I can't really tell you the full story, Ron, but it actually does help to "complete a circuit". However, it's one of those "circuits" that you don't feel unless you do a fair amount of the breathing practice I described near the beginning of the thread and then add a little more to it.

A way to approach a more easily understood pointer to the problem (since I can't tell you directly, maybe I can point to the physical phenomenon that leads to it). There's a sort of "feeling" that goes along with the fascia training and involves a very faint "tension". The problem is that the fascia sheets get interrupted by the anus and by the mouth, if you track a circuit up the back and down the front (the so-called "microcosmic orbit"). In order to complete the circuit despite the gaps, the tongue touches the upper palate and the anus is slightly clenched.

For all practical purposes, you at least have a pointer to the problem. Feeling it would take some time and training, unfortunately.

Regards,

Mike