View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 09:33 AM   #37
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: Deep Breathing and its meaning

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
And I'd just like to point out that the conversation was had without any animosity or sidelines. Good thread, and thanks to the participants.
Ack! Ron! You spoiled the thread with an off-topic comment!

I've been thinking about this whole idea of "cleansing" and what it means if the various subtleties are looked at. I.e., I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't a slight skew in the idea, given some of the early connotations of the subconscious for possession, the kami for the inception of some physical functions, the general misunderstanding of "harmony" in the context of an orderly universe, and so on.

"Cleansing" may not be a totally accurate attribution for "Misogi" in other words. It may *partially* be correct, but it doesn't truly account for all the training modalities that are definitely in a Misogi regimen. Breathing is training (and a very complex training). Fune Kogi Undo is a training. Furitama is actually a form of training, too. While there may be a connotation of "spritual cleansing" based upon a philosophical view of the Misogi practices, there is a practical overlay that I think should always be searched for. If there's one thing I've found time and time again in relation to seemingly esoteric Asian practices, they usually had a practical inception, not a metaphysical one. Those people did things because they worked, not because they were exotic.

Regards,

Mike