View Single Post
Old 01-12-2002, 10:24 AM   #34
akiy

Quote:
Originally posted by Edward
I like to believe that if my Kohai does not understand from me showing the example, this means that he's not ready yet for the technique. I have been in situations where no matter how many times my Sempai explained a technique to me, I didn't get it. And then one day, without any obvious reason, I just got it right. I think we all have had similar experiences.
I don't know, really. I'm guessing that all of the prior experiences in "not getting" the technique always helps someone "get" the technique. I don't think there's ever a time when someone "gets" something they haven't "gotten" in the past without this kind of work.

I guess I'm agreeing with George Leonard sensei who says in his book Mastery that we all encounter plateaus in our training before progress. He says that progress can not happen without these plateaus. One example he uses is that for a person who is used to playing in the 90's in golf to get his game down into the 80's, he's probably going to have to play in the 100's while he's "improving" his game.

I think that all of the training that we've done so far, whether we "understand" it or not, comes into play when we're learning something. These "sudden" spurts of improvement, in my mind, wouldn't come without periods of not "understanding."

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!