View Single Post
Old 08-27-2006, 10:54 AM   #50
DonMagee
United_States
Re: Competition again!!!

Quote:
Phil Farmer wrote:
Hi all,

I guess since I practice and teach Yoseikan, I can offer a comment or two about competition. George was right early on in the thread when he mentioned atemi and Yoseikan, we have long added atemi in what we do, this was Minoru Mochizuki's thinking and experience. He came back from Europe in the very early 50's and explained to O Sensei that pure aiki did not work in every experience he had with other styles and he often resorted to his judo, karate, or jiujitsu knowledge and skills to supplement.

Now a quick fast forward to today. Yoseikan Budo does competition on a regular basis. Hiroo Mochizuki Shihan's reasoning is that it is the closest we can come to actual combat and stil not injure one another. His believe is in the definition of "learning together" as the meaning of competition. We do have specific rules and wear full headgear with face mask, gloves, foot and shin guards and chest protectors with throat guards. We do free sparring types of competition with kicks, punches, throws and pins and use padded weapons as well. The goal, education, mutual learning in a safe environment.

Education and developing a "fighting spirit" is the goal. Safety is the second goal. Shihan feels that we live in a world where we all compete every day, tempering the spirit properly teaches us that it is truly not about who wins but what we learn during the process.
Phil Farmer
That sounds like a lot of fun. I"m not a big fan of wearing that much saftey gear though (I find it leads to me using the gear to my advantage such as not defending my head from blows while I work an attack. But I wish I could find a place like that near my to try out.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein