View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 10:04 PM   #19
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Poll: Has aikido changed your spiritual life?

Quote:
Karen Wolek wrote:
Well, I was Catholic for my entire life up until then. I tried really hard to be Catholic, LOL, but it didn't work out. So I think I was looking for something that made more sense to me. Voila, Buddhism.
Then you were trying too hard. It's not an either/or. Nor is it about sense -- or nonsense. Try "Zen Catholicism" (1963) by Dom Aelred Graham. See his obit here: http://www.archive.zenwebhosting.com...y/graham_a.htm

My wife called me a Zen Catholic, only half-jokingly, when we first met and I had to get the book when I found out about it. Serious and very readable theology -- on both Catholic and Buddhist grounds-- by a Benedictine. His observations on the relationship of Christianity to Buddhist thought is worth pondering carefully.

In terms of aikido, two statements by Jesus should be read in conjunction with a number of O-Sensei's doka:
Quote:
"Do not think that I have come to bring peace on earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword." St. Matt., 10:34

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." St. John, 14:27
If you are more Jesuitical of mind -- try here also: http://kennedyzen.tripod.com/ (Fr. Robert Kenedy, Roshi, SJ and especially look at the bottom of the page). The encyclical Dominus Iesus is really worth a good read in this regard, as is Pope Benedict's more popularized "Truth and Tolerance."

"All that is true, by whomsoever it has been said, is from the Holy Spirit." St. Thomas Aquinas, cit. 1 Cor. 12:4-11. Ultimately, the only antidote to bad, or (badly presented) theology is good theology. And we are thinking creatures -- trying not to think is as much an attachment as incessant thinking, O Ananda.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.