View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 04:40 PM   #14
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Training the Body. Part 2: Exercesis

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:
Thanks Rob, carrying on from Pt I:

Ok, ok, I hear the words But what do they mean? Is it like maintain the up-down tensions primarily, let the legs make the bow, and then let the upper/middle body drop onto that supportive bridge? oooh, think I just had a small lightbulb I don't think its an original thought, though
Yup, along those lines of thought. If you do the exercises daily, then like you've noticed, that nature will probably change eventually.
You aren't wrong tho.

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:
Umm, ok... why?
Just do it
Kidding.
Hard to explain why, I'm pretty sure there's some structural reason why it's more stable.
Until you can establish a groundpath, you'll always want to keep elbows over knees.
Some practicioners refer to this as "staying within your structure" etc.

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:
When I do this it feels like it maximises the F-B tensions, particularly in the middle area, because of what it does to the alignment.
Yup, because skeletal structures efficiency is maximized (my guess, don't take it as gospel) If I were you I wouldn't about the "why" yet. Just note that the tension increases and move on

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:
So, are you describing going down to like butt-on-the-floor as per the vid of Akuzawa? ie, with heels on the floor too? If I'm doing this against a wall, there is _no_way_ I can fit my body between my heels that are against the wall, and the wall (and I'm not really a big guy). If I raise my heels its doable, but that messes up my F-B contradictory feeling, 'cause its easy to rock the centre of gravity forwards now and make it "easy" for me. If I'm doing it without a wall, my torso hinges forward slightly, necessarily, although I try to keep it straight.
Hahhahahahahaha...
no. If I could do that with my heels touching the wall, and keeping them on the floor Id be a mtherfu$#"ing master.
I hear in the old days, some teachers in china would measure how much their students had been practicing (or slacking), by having them standagainst a wall, then see how far they could drop down keeping a straight back, without the heels popping up from the floor.
If you couldn't go down very far, or you hadn't made progress, it meant you'd been slacking

Short answer.
Don't raise the heels. Go as far down as you can while maintaining F-B connection.

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:
So, hands are held out such the thumbs couldn't touch the chest? I notice Akuzawa is not touching his together... I guess this is part of the imagery of maintaining L-R contradictory force through the cross?
You're thinking too much. Don't worry about that part now
But you're correct, there is a component of L-R force at work there.
Imagine like there's a piece of paper in between your hands when you bring them together. Keep it there.

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:
"pull" not "drop"? Do you also maintain lift in crown trying to stop the downward movement?
Pull for me indicates control. Drop means you simply "relax" and let go. So which ever works for you. Myself, I think its important to maintain a constant "pull" downwards in the beginning since we tend to be unaware of its importance.

Always maintain lift in the crown.