View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
RonRagusa
United_States
The Spirit of Aikido

"Aikido was born out of three Enlightenment experiences of O-Sensei. One occurred in 1925, after O-Sensei had defeated a high-ranking swordsman's vicious attacks, unarmed and without hurting him. Ueshiba then went into his garden and

'Suddenly, the earth shook. Golden vapor welled up from the ground and engulfed me. I felt transformed into a golden image, and my body seemed as light as a feather. All at once I understood the nature of creation: the Way of a Warrior is to manifest Divine Love, a spirit that embraces and nurtures all things.'

His second experience occurred in 1940 when,

'Around 2 o'clock in the morning as I was performing ritual purification, I suddenly forgot every martial art technique I had ever learned. All of the techniques handed down from my teachers appeared completely anew. Now they were vehicles for the cultivation of life, knowledge, virtue, and good sense, not devices to throw and pin people.'

His third occurred in 1942 during the most grim period of WWII, Ueshiba had a vision of the "Great Spirit of Peace"

'The Way of the Warrior has been misunderstood as a means to kill and destroy others. Those who seek competition are making a grave mistake. To smash, injure, or destroy is the worst sin a human being can commit. The real Way of a Warrior is to prevent slaughter - it is the Art of Peace, the power of love.'"

Above is from the Wikipedia section devoted to Aikido titled "The Spirit of Aikido." Unfortunately no sources are cited and there is no author referenced to ask questions of.

Assuming for the moment that the quotes attributed to O Sensei are accurate, I'm wondering how, generally, your Aikido worldview dovetails with O Sensei's "Enlightenment experiences" and specifically how you manage the juxtaposition of the traditional view of Warrior ship with O Sensei's reinterpretation?