davidafindlay
Dojo: Shodokan
Re: Training the Body. Part 2: Exercesis

Thanks Rob, carrying on from Pt I:

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
Spinal Alignement Exercise

<snip>

Keep the spine straight, and STAND from the SPINE.
Ok, ok, I hear the words But what do they mean? Is it like maintain the up-down tensions primarily, let the legs make the bow, and then let the upper/middle body drop onto that supportive bridge? oooh, think I just had a small lightbulb I don't think its an original thought, though

Quote:
Rober John wrote:
Elbows over Knees. This is extremely important.
Umm, ok... why?

When I do this it feels like it maximises the F-B tensions, particularly in the middle area, because of what it does to the alignment.

Comments?

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
As you sink your body from the spine,your body should fold like an accordion. The pelvic crease area should naturally close when you do this, however keep the feeling of keeping it open as you do this.
So, are you describing going down to like butt-on-the-floor as per the vid of Akuzawa? ie, with heels on the floor too? If I'm doing this against a wall, there is _no_way_ I can fit my body between my heels that are against the wall, and the wall (and I'm not really a big guy). If I raise my heels its doable, but that messes up my F-B contradictory feeling, 'cause its easy to rock the centre of gravity forwards now and make it "easy" for me. If I'm doing it without a wall, my torso hinges forward slightly, necessarily, although I try to keep it straight.

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
Now fold the elbows, elbows and bring the hands together in front of the chest, as if praying. Keep the elbows dropped when you do this, and keep as much tension flowing to the fingertips as you can during the movement. Elbows should still be over the knees.
So, hands are held out such the thumbs couldn't touch the chest? I notice Akuzawa is not touching his together... I guess this is part of the imagery of maintaining L-R contradictory force through the cross?

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
At the same time, lower the body, and pull the sacrum/base of the spine downwards, while maintaing the "arch" in the legs mentioned earlier with knees pushed out.
"pull" not "drop"? Do you also maintain lift in crown trying to stop the downward movement?

Cheers,
Dave Findlay