View Single Post
Old 08-15-2006, 04:02 AM   #19
davidafindlay
Dojo: Shodokan
Re: Training the Body for Martial Movement

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
I was referring to the top point between the scaps when they're pinched together.
Top of the scapulas? (scapulae?)... that's about an inch lower than where I was feeling. Maybe I wasn't drawing them close enough together. I was feeling it more around the first vertebra with the big bump on it. Actually, maybe I need to relax the shoulders (more). Hang on ... just testing .. yup, as they relax more, the primary location of the tension drops a bit, and also the lines of tension along the underside of the forearm and underside of the fingers (mainly middle & index) increases. Feels nice.

Is there a comment here about the tension flow through the yin areas vs yang? If I add to the further relaxed shoulders as above, and envisage pushing more out using the lats, outside of the humerus and tops of the forearms, it seems to bring in a deeper tension to the tension paths, with a more relaxed feeling in them too. This feeling of further relaxed tension does not happed if I just push out with the whole arm.

<Sorry, testing as I write...>

Oh, hang on, this feels more like a shoulder related thing too. When thinking about pushing out on the yang surfaces, it seems I don't raise the shoulders, whereas when "just pushing out with the arms" it raises the shoulders a tiny bit, taking me back to the inital feeling and conclusion about shoulders. So maybe its more about point one above - relax the shoulders (more!), rather than me getting too cerebral about yin/yang. Hmm, oh well

Comments?

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
1) Feet facing front, and more or less together. As in smaller than shoulder width, but don't force them to stick together.
Cool. Wider than shoulder with (or hip with actually) is pretty difficult :/

Have you come across the thing where you edge yourself up sideways to a wall until your shoulder touches, then try to raise the foot furthest from the wall?

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
2) Sides. I hope no one misinterpreted that O_o
No, just being particular

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
it should be natural to realize that you have to stabilitze the back somehow, otherwise your sternum/cross will be all over the place.
"all over the place"? ... Like out getting boozed while it should be at home with the family and kids? Do you mean the torso will wobble, or the feeling of the cross will move around over one's chest?

Quote:
Robert John wrote:
The center axis, as one might imagine, runs from the crown of your head down between your legs. Or to get graphic, imagine your wang drilling the ground (females, imagine your imaginary wang drilling into the ground).
Similar to asking about which part of the head to raise (top vs ba huei), this thing about imaginary wangs has me a bit confused. I'm used to the idea of pulling down the spine through the perinium (for those who aren't familiar that's between the anus and the genitals). Is it this location you're referring to? My thoughts are that when this location is concentrated on, the pelvis is maintained in a more neutral (horizontal?) postion, and relaxation of the pelvic crease must also go hand-in-hand. If I change focus to the aforementioned wang <ahem>, the central axis feels like its brought forward and consequently the butt has a slight tendancy to stick out, and the pc can also be forgotten about...

Thanks,
Dave Findlay