View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 06:46 AM   #17
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Training the Body for Martial Movement

Good questions Dave,
since a lot of this stuff can be open for interpreation until its been shown in person.

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:

Does this mean tension in the front of the neck (eg dip between the clavicles) or behind the neck (between, umm, the traps) or around the whole lot (like wearing a necklace). It feels like if you raise / suspend the crown through the ba-huei (sp?) - which is what I've been taught for this (ie, behind the "top" of the head), then the tension comes to the back of the neck more than the front.
I understand what you mean by the "necklace" feeling, but I wasn't referring to that (though I don't think its necessarily wrong).
I was referring to the top point between the scaps when they're pinched together.
And yes, more to the back, you ideally dont want much in the front.

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:
Sorry, I'm stoopid, it seems we're talking axis here, not (sagittal) planes.. yes/no?
Yes, axis, not planes. (Planes come into play later)

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:
1) Feet together - how close? big toe pointing in which direction? The distance between the feet changes the feeling and difficulty of this test a lot, needless to say.
2) Arms open to the sides or straight ahead?
3) Can you comment on the attention one should pay to the up/down on the spine during this exercise?
4) Can you describe where the tension paths run in the arms? To me it feels like the underneath of the forearm, almost through the
1) Feet facing front, and more or less together. As in smaller than shoulder width, but don't force them to stick together.

2) Sides. I hope no one misinterpreted that O_o

3) There is an up/down pull you want to focus on later.
But for developmental purposes, I think the sternum tension should be paid attention to first. If you do this exercise daily and think about it, it should be natural to realize that you have to stabilitze the back somehow, otherwise your sternum/cross will be all over the place.

4) I don't think its weird at all.
I hesitate to give any "this is the feeling you should have exactly" since it'll change as your muscles/sniews adapt and change. I'll just say that I don't think you're wrong.
If you think about it harder, since the tension doesn't run through the "top" of the shoulder (since they should be droped) it should cause the tension to run "deeper". Possibly on the undersides at times

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:
"Raise the leg".
1) out to the side? Out in front?
2) raise the foot (whole leg straight)? Raise the knee (shin vertical)?
1) Front for now. Later you can do it to the side. If you want to see the range of ways you can do this exericse, type in "jibengong" and "wushu" into google. Just do the same exercises while adhereing to principle.
2) Experiement. You'll find your body will be imbalanced in different ways according to how you raise your leg.

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:
So is this tying the uber dantien near-enough in front of the sacral connection of the spine to the pelvic girdle?
Nice observation
You should be able to stick a shaft through the two points.
I don't recommend actually doing so. Might be hazardous to your health.

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:
pc = kua?
Bingo.
I avoided that term since a lot of people don't know what it is.

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:
So, should the cross manifest more in front, or behind, or through, or around the torso? I'm looking for a description to compare my own feeling. In my case what I'm doing feels both in front and behind, but also somehow connected between the two, mainly _under_ the arms, I think (?)...
Again, I hestitate to give an exact yes or no. The exercises will change with you the longer you do them.
In the beginning, you'll want the cross to the front more or less.
This should change over time.

Quote:
Dave Findlay wrote:

Ok, so you've mentioned L-R, F-B and U-D tension around the cross in the upper body. And also U-P, F-B in the middle area. Can I hazard that the opening of the pc by maintaining an arch or bow in the legs and relaxing the kua helps manifest a L-R tension in the middle (pelvic region) too?
Not for me. Don't think *too hard about it yet.

Good questions though,
I'm glad to know some people are playing around with it to see what kind of feedback they get in their own bodies.