View Single Post
Old 08-06-2000, 11:15 PM   #15
AikiTom
Dojo: Aikido Martial Arts Center
Quote:
DJM wrote:

For what it's worth, I actually have some bad habits from fencing that take some beating for my Aikido, the main one is not standing with hips square on when in posture - too tempting a target area in fencing...
You know, I find myself doing the same, although I don't know if that's all bad. I've seen some experienced aikido teachers on video who appear to use such a stance, that is more of a chest-facing-to-the-side rather than open-to-the-front kamae.
Quote:
DJM wrote:

Yep, but I also used to use a few head cuts too - similar target area to yokomen cuts I guess..
Funny you say that....after I wrote that I looked at the letter above making reference to "no crushing blows" and I thought I remembered some blows to the head, too, although ours were more of the shomen type than the yokomen. I guess we thought that was cool
Quote:
DJM wrote:
Epee is bad!
I think it's also bad because it encourages getting points at the expense of realistic fighting strategy. If you went after a foot in a real fight, you might get the foot, but lose your arm (!)
Quote:
DJM wrote:
Yes, very useful technique with foil - only of any use when fencing with an electric foil. When fencing with non-electric foils this doesn't give you the 'bend' that it needed to ajudge a hit..
Exactly right, another one of those problems with making a supposed combat form into a sport.

May the force be with you!
AikiTom
"Be the change you want to see."