View Single Post
Old 08-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #17
Bryan
United_States
Re: Losing weight with a bad back

No offense meant but half the suggestions here are off. You need to seek some input from qualified professionals, in person, to get assessment of your posture and nutritional needs.

1. Doing sit-ups isn't what makes your belly smaller, you cannot target the fat you want to reduce. Your body has a genetic map of where it will store fats and it will, generally, burn that fat in a 'last in first out' progression. The first place you start storing fat is probably going to be the last place it comes off.

2. Traditional sit-ups strain the lower back, do crunches. Seek a trainers help on proper technique and poster. Doing stupid amounts of sit-ups may have actually contributed to the injury you suffer from even if it was a long time ago.

3. Resistance training is generally better for fat burning, the caloric expenditure during can be just as great as cardio, and you will keep burning more calories during the recovery period which is much longer than that of a cardio workout. If your resistance training leads to an increase in lean mass, then your calorie expenditure will rise to support the increase of mass. A combination of cardio, resistance training, and a balanced diet is your best bet.

4. Ignore the anti carb talk. Talk to your doctor, or a nutritionist, to find out what kind of diet works best for your metabolism. Low carb/ high protein does not work universally for everyone. Some metabolisms can actually work better with a higher carb percentage than protein. Reducing saturated fat intake is a safe step. 4-6 meals per day to keep the metabolism moving, and take in less calories than you are using.

5. Get an assessment from a physical therapist about your back and any other issues you have. If you are still having pain from an old injury, it could be from scaring in the connective tissues, a joint problem, pinched nerve, sever imbalances in your muscles structure wich lead to continued re-injury, something else, or a combination.

6. Consider a deep tissue massage. Not a Sweedish ‘relaxation' massage, but a good deep tissue body worker. It can be painful but rewarding.

7. Once you've been cleared by a physical therapist, get 2-3 sessions with a personal trainer (more if you like, less probably won't do you much good). They will assess your posture and get you started on a corrective exercise program. If you have significant imbalances and don't have the education on how to address them, you can just exacerbate them.

8. Almost forgot...drink lots of water....plain old H2O

I'm not pulling this out of my ass, I'm studying for Fitness and Wellness Masters as well as certifications under NASM….nasm.org... Transitioning from a boring engineering career in hopes of opening my own MA and Fitness training studio in a few years.

I would recommend you get to the qualified people who can set you strait. It may cost a bit, especially if you don't have medical insurance, but in the long run you will pay a lot more from the injuries you could and probably will sustain.