View Single Post
Old 08-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #235
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Aikido on the ground, questions.

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote:
Ok let's take it out of arcance Japanese terminology and get to some real examples. Let's take shomen uchi irimi nage as a basis - understanding you're going to say that the irimi nage component will be dependent on alot of things. But we can agree that you need to get off the line and take balance right? If you move too early you get tracked and hit. If you move too late, you get hit. how is this not about timing?
OK. Balance we agree about, past that, however ... Shomen uchi iriminage can be taken early, middle or late, omote or ura, turning in or out. Timing is irrelevant. If I am performing it with an initial tenkan turn (soto or uchi / in or out), moving off-line is irrelevant since I will sweep the attack slightly in turning before the concluding irimi. Moving offline early and uke tracking just means I have attained musubi even sooner since uke is responding to my movement naturally with his attack. The sokumen movement results in tracking, and allows the inside approach to the shomenuchi sweeping down and back up again into the kata gatame uchi mawari iriminage variation. (sorry, less arcanely -- the shoulder-wrap, inside- turn entering throw). The most devastating shomenuchi iriminage I have ever seen was late to the point that uke's elbow was scraping his ear as he drove in to the direct omote iriminage under the descending attacking arm.

I do not see the point you are making.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.