View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 11:10 PM   #18
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Re: Who wrote the BS?

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote:

If someone is not VERY passionate about aikido , better to find something else to do. 50 years practice seems long way to go....
No one says you shouldn't be passionate. You have to be passionate to stay the course in this art and take it to any real level of skill.

Quote:
Without the strongest belief O sensei could never create aikido.
With O-sensei it was a bit different in that he didn't see Aikido as his own creation but rather as something "revealed" to him by the Kami. So he didn't have the idea that his understanding was somehow the ultimate understanding because, as he stated himself, his understanding was always changing. So the Kami kept him humble about his own understanding, he never stopped learning.

Quote:
If someone doesn't believe his own understanding is the best, his practice is half-heart (sp?) and his techniques are not efficient. He will only learn superficial level of aikido.
This doesn't make any sense at all... I don't have to believe that my Aikido is "the best"; it's just mine. Someone who really thinks his understanding is the best doesn't have any reason to make any changes or learn from anyone else. The great teachers look at everyone they see and take whatever is good. I have no illusions that my Aikido is "the best" but I can assure you that a) it's not half-hearted and b) it's getting better all the time. This idea of "best" is insidious... we are not in competition with each other.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com