View Single Post
Old 08-06-2000, 01:54 AM   #14
DJM
Dojo: Two Rivers Dojo, York
I have to agree with Tom on the fencing issue - I fenced for 7 years or so, primarily foil and sabre, some epee. I fenced foil competitively, though only once at a particularly large event (not in my nature - the whole 'competitive thing').

For what it's worth, I actually have some bad habits from fencing that take some beating for my Aikido, the main one is not standing with hips square on when in posture - too tempting a target area in fencing...

Couple points I'd like to add, just to add my pennies to the pile..

Quote:
AikiTom wrote:

In sabre, the upper half of the body is the target area, and we used a lot of arm and shoulder cuts - could be "killing blow", but not likely.
Yep, but I also used to use a few head cuts too - similar target area to yokomen cuts I guess.. Also explains the scar you used to get with German fencers when they used to fence without protective gear (macho thing as opposed to sport).

Quote:
In epee, the whole body is the target, and since the foot of the opponent is often closest, it was a favorite target, and again hardly a "killing blow" or "organ" being tageted, although I suppose you could bleed to death from a cut foot.
Epee is bad! For the non-fencers, imagine fighting with pokers. About as much flexibility as the epee!!

Quote:
And, lastly, foil. I fenced with, and against, some nationally-ranked coaches and fencers, and never heard of or saw "organ" targeting or much concern for precision targeting as such. In fact, one fencer I knew used ma-ai well to draw in his opponent and then "flicked" his foil downward to the target, holding his wrist in the same place, much like someone casting with a fishing pole. It was very fast, in the target area, but not a killing blow.
Yes, very useful technique with foil - only of any use when fencing with an electric foil. When fencing with non-electric foils this doesn't give you the 'bend' that it needed to ajudge a hit..

Peace,
David

Sunset Shimmering,
On Water, Placid and Calm,
A Fish Touches Sky
--
David Marshall