View Single Post
Old 07-21-2006, 07:42 AM   #89
philippe willaume

United Kingdom
Re: Ueshiba vs. Gun Squad

Hello,
I would like to give my 2 pennies worth here.

Unless you reaction time plus your movement time is inferior to the time it takes a revolver/handgun bullet to travel 20 meters. You are going to get it I.e. about 0.06 and 0.09 second. If we assume a handgun bullet between 300 and 400 ms and before WWII they were closer to 150-220.(0.16 to reach 25 meters). I would expect the really conservative way of thinking of the Japanese military to have ensured that handguns were in the lowest category. That is if you move when you see the flash of the propelling explosion since we are about the speed of sound, you will hear the bang just about getting hit.
Anyway, You simply cannot doge a handgun bullet after or as soon when it is fired (unless you are a vampire, quick silver, the green lantern or flash).
For those who haven’t been in the French armed forces, we usually shot handguns (revolver or automatic) at 25 and 50 meters. 25 meters usually being where the aiming line crosses trajectory of the bullet. (or there about).
Sharp shooting is a tad contradictory with handguns, it has low velocity and a fair variance in the ballistic characteristic (unless specially designed for completion shooting which was not the case for military grade weapons). It saving grace is that the target is going to get most of the bullet energy hence lots of damages.

Revolver can be double or simple action, in a simple action you need to cock the hammer manually. In a bobble action pressing the trigger with cock the hammer and rotate the barrel, and let the hammer strike back the cartridge primer.
From my personal experience, due to the lack of stability and the type of weapon, I find handguns slight slower to track and aim than SMG or rifles.
Handguns are quick to deploy and quick to track, which is what makes them good for close quarter fighting as you can use those characteristics with “instinctive shooting”
But in that case25 meters is a hell of a long way.

However, recently law enforcement and military have been intrested in a few “dodging the bullet” return fire strategy.
“Stand and deliver” have being (and is) the usual handgun strategy, but dropping to one knee as you take aim and or moving to the 10 or 2 o’clock of the opposing shooter and firing several rounds in both case.
Seems to have a better survability rate. Both those technique requires moving before the shot of you opponent is fired. (i.e. when you are acquired or when the weapon is brought to bear not when it is being shot)

In case where the opponent shot at a target, or should we say the space the target occupy, which the case when shooting at a fixed target (especially in volley fire).
The acquisition and tracking is done before the shoot. If you add the firing order movement will throw you off, , and eventually the double action cocking.
That gives the potential target time to get away or in other terms starting before you.
So I would say it is feasible

However if you shot at a moving target, you will delay your shot until you are satisfied with tracking and aiming. This make moving before the shooting order much less efficient if you cannot return fire.

If you want to experiment paint ball are doing 100 m/s or 150 for “military simulator. Which for all intent and purposes it is good enough.

Last edited by philippe willaume : 07-21-2006 at 07:45 AM.