View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 11:16 PM   #224
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Brawling with a friend

Quote:
Don Magee wrote:
I'd love to belive his aikido training helped him, and had it been months of years I would agree. I'd say this was just blind instinct helping keep him safe...If soemone said they got in a fight after 2 weeks of boxing training and they stuck their hands up and the guy couldn't hit them, however they couldn't seem to figure out how to fight back, and just kept their distance with their hands in front of their face, I would not attribute boxing to saving the. I'd call it common sense.
Hypothetically, I think you could attribute even one class to helping a situation like this. I don't think any of us can be sure enough to say one way or the other, but I think it's quite possible. "Common sense" is one of those ill-defined things you mentioned. If you're taught to keep your hands up and on your center-line or simply to relax and not panic, and you do that because you were told in training, then training played a role. The more you train, the more it plays a role, but even that first day can play a role.

Gambarimashyo!