View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 03:29 PM   #218
CNYMike
Dojo: Finger Lakes Aikido
United_States
Re: Brawling with a friend

Quote:
Don Magee wrote:
I just wanted to correct you on one thing.

I said "Sport fighting can reason that they are actually using their technqiues against a person trying to do the same." Meaning sparing using your techniques against a person trying to use their techniques.
Ok; hair mended.

Quote:
Other than that I was trying to respond to the ideas posed. You said "Also you have to remember that "on the Street," the other person won't know what you know and you won't know what he knows. So it's unlilely he'll know how to counter you. Furthermore, trained martial artists are rare in our culture.", and I showed you how I feel that is false. I know more tough guys who used to be wreslters then tough guys who didn't used to be wrestlers. It just so happens that tough guys are the ones usually starting trouble, not the computer nerd.
Reasonable.

Quote:
You are right on the rest, it is simply individual ideas on how to train. But that doesn't mean we should not argue about it. It's all the more reason to share our ideas, examples, history, and argue about it. Its not about SBG being right and aikido being wrong, or judo being right and japanese jiujitsu being wrong. Its about finding the correct path with all the applicable information and ideas. I'm not going to train kata (well except maybe when i'm too old to compete in judo), your not going to get in a ring anytime soon (unless I've miss-read you). But that doesn't mean each of us can't learn something from each other and apply it to our training. I've learned a lot from aikidoka. My time in aikido opened my eyes to a lot of things and had big impact in how I did and did not want to train. Like I said, its not about aikido, it's about arguing the merrits and flaws of training methods. However it seems a few posters want to turn this into a what is more effective fighting style argument, I'm just trying to shape it into more effective training method argument.
Well, are the two issues really that easy to separate? You want to ask question, there's one. I wouldn't have raised the points I've raised if I didn't think they were important.

As far as an objective and dispassionate view of training methods goes, that's a big project. And relying on personal testimonials is probably not the most scientific way of discussing it. What are the methods meant to achieve? The words "pop out" sruface a lot with reference to Aikido techniques. Is this the result of all the repitition? Hmm, then maybe the priority is less an intellectual understanding and more just having it ingrained in you? That's what that says to me. Same about the methods you like. It's not enough to say "Well, they work ..... " You have to get into the nitty gritty of it. So before making value judgments about which is "better," you have to know what they're doing.