View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #210
statisticool
United_States
Re: Brawling with a friend

Quote:
Don Magee wrote:
What I have never seen addressed by people against sport fighting is how traditional training better prepares you for a street fight.
I don't think it is being "against sport fighting" but being against the oft-heard argument that what does/doesn't go on in sport/entertainment determines what can/can't happen in real life self defense situations.

Quote:
Is it the clothes you wear? The enviroment you train in? The realistic attacks? How do you develop the experiance needed to perform when you are attacked? How do you learn to deal with unexpected responses when your techniques fail?
Thugs are just not well-trained like Liddel and Hughes. I wouldn't train to expect to fight someone like them just like I wouldn't practice basketball to expect to encounter Michael Jordan on the basketball court.

If I do, I'll regret my choice, of course, much like I'd regret studying martial arts instead of practicing shooting, or those who practice shooting regret not owning a tank.

Quote:
Usually instead of saying this is how our training better prepares you, they will instead harp on sport fighting not being realistic.
I typically point out that pre-1993 and pre-video cameras people could still fight, and there's more years of that than years since then. There's plenty of news articles about people using their non-MMA martial art to defend themself in real life situations, so that is encouragement.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to risk the chance the guy I have to fight is not an average joe.
I can see how some don't want to waste resources thinking it will be, and train harder and possibly get more injuries, possibly get more aggressive, etc.

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."